Click here to read the full article or an excerpt below.
The Residential Tenancy Act does not apply
The Residential Tenancy Act does not apply to:
- living accommodation where the tenant shares kitchen or bathroom facilities with the owner of the accommodation,
- people living in accommodations owned or operated by educational institutions if the institution provides the accommodation to its students or employees,
- if you live in a housing co-op and are a member of the co-op,
- commercial tenancies,
- vacation or travel accommodation,
- people in jail,
- living accommodation rented under an agreement with a term of 20 years or more, or
- people living in care facilities that fall under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act, the Continuing Care Act, the Hospital Act, or the Mental Health Act.
There are other situations when the Act does not apply. See section 4 of the RTA.