Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program

Do we have this service in Canada? This doesn’t really help prevent international abduction when we have no exit controls stopping people, including Canadian children, from leaving Canada or the United States. Click here for the entire article or read an excerpt below.


If you have imminent concerns about international parental child abduction and wish to speak to someone about protecting your child(ren) please call us immediately at 888-407-4747 or email us

Parents may enroll their U.S. citizen children under the age of 18 in the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP), one of the Department of State’s most important tools for preventing international parental child abduction.  If a passport application is submitted for a child who is enrolled in the CPIAP, the program allows the Department of State, Office of Children’s Issues to contact the requesting parent(s) to verify whether the parental consent requirement for minors has been met.


Along with your CPIAP request, you must submit proof of your legal relationship to the child.  Such evidence may include a copy of the child’s birth certificate or other proof of parentage; for example, a court order from a court of competent jurisdiction granting you custodial rights or legal guardianship over the child.  Failure to provide proof of parental relationship may result in passport issuance to your child without your consent or notification.

Additionally, requests for enrollment into the CPIAP can also be submitted by law enforcement or a court, or someone acting on behalf of a parent, such as an attorney, a member of Congress, or another family member.  Please note, however, that privacy laws and regulations may limit who may be notified upon receipt of a passport application.

This program does not apply to foreign passports and the United States does not have exit controls.  U.S. law enforcement generally will not act to prevent a child from leaving the country unless there is a court order clearly prohibiting the removal of the child from the United States.  If you are concerned about abduction, you should speak with your attorney about ways in which the court may assist in your prevention efforts.


Learn more about the Passport Issuance Alert Program by visiting our Frequently Asked Questions page.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s